Assembling Self

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

International Adoption In The News

I hate watching it sometimes but for many adoptees, and those with adoption connections, it's like passing an accident and slowing down to watch no matter how horrendous it is.  For others, like me, it's something you grab ahold of take a deep breath and don't let go until you are certain everyone around has had their eyes opened and are educated to the faulted system that is the adoption system.  I hate to see it, but I hope we can use these terrible circumstances for orphans from Haiti as opportunities to facilitate change in the adoption sytem for the better for all those involved, mostly for the children.

For the last 11 years, as best as I can, I have worked with individuals and groups towards the common goal of revamping adoption as we've known it.  The problems with Haiti and the orphans (if we truly know they are orphans) is the lack of education in groups claiming to "help" and laws that will protect these orphaned children and their biological families and the birth rites that can very easily be permanently lost along with way.  I am sure and certain that the safety of these children is of utmost importance first and foremost.  How this process is done is a whole other ballgame.  Even those with good hearts and the best of intentions can be lead down the pathway to....well as those of us with severed ties to our biological family know it...Hell.  Strong word calling this Hell?  YUP absolutely.

"Adoption Loss is the only trauma in the world where the victims are expected by the whole of society to be grateful".   I never deal in absolutes so I never claim to speak for all adoptees or those with adoption connections I'll just point the way to the massive amounts of people working within groups on social networking sites....'nuff said.   Now, back to International Adoption Law reading.  Better than an Ambien I swear....or maybe the sound deep sleep just comes from knowing I can make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment